超级会员单次开通12个月以上,赠送连续签到卡3张
亲爱的各位吧友:欢迎来到sdadad
发贴红色标题
签到六倍经验
兑换本吧会员
赠送补签卡1张,获得
助攻总额: 43W
发表后自动分享本贴
使用签名档&ASD Dad | Adventures on the other side of typical.
Today’s TED Talk has an important, moving message. As this autism mom says, “There is no need to be an expert nor do anything heroic to include someone. We just need to be there…we simply need to be close. And if we are afraid of something or we don’t understand something, we need to ask.” It’s seven minutes, and well worth it.
Note: the talk is in Spanish with English subtitles.
A boy on a bench. What do you see?
Even though it’s inaccurate, I love this photo of Colin.
First the accurate part: it captures my son enjoying a brief moment of quiet in a playground, unaware that some children were staring at him.
Now the inaccurate part: the photo suggests exclusion and isolation. It implies that he might be the subject of teasing—or worse. It fits the narrative of autism we’ve come to accept as true. In this case, though, it simply isn’t.
The real story is that Coli he’s a ball of perpetual, joyful energy, and moments like these are rare. Those kids? They actually tried to play with him a few moments before I took the photo, but he just kept on doing his thing. They seemed curious about this boy who didn’ if anything, they were the ones who may have felt excluded.
I took this photo to capture a peaceful moment, but when I looked at it later, what came through was something more melancholy. Why?
Every photographer knows that context is everything. In any image, what’s excluded is as important as what’s included. Timing, angle, framing – each, in its own way, shapes our perception of a moment’s truth. No photograph tells the whole story, and most barely tell an accurate one.
Same day, same boy, different story.
When I look at Colin, I see challenges. Big ones. But mostly I see joy and enthusiasm for the world—his world. I see a boy who loves life with a purity and exuberance I myself have never experienced, not even as a child. I have a choice, then: I can choose to frame his story so that it makes me sad, or so that it makes me happy.
On my better days, I choose the latter.
The TED Talk that changed how I saw my son
“Today I have just one request. Please don’t tell me I’m normal.” These are the first words of , and they changed me forever.
It was December 2012, and I was struggling to come to terms with my son’s recent autism diagnosis. I came across a link to Faith’s brisk talk — I wasn’t yet part of the
team — and I decided to see what she had to say. When I was done, I scrubbed to the beginning to watch it over again. Then I sent the link to my wife.
When your child is diagnosed with autism, you’re inundated with reports and evaluations outlining the struggles your child is going to face, how difficult their life will be and all the work you have ahead of you. You immerse yourself in a pool of deficits wondering if you’ll ever climb out again, or whether you’ll learn to swim.
But here was someone who wasn’t framing the conversation in terms of deficits. Instead, Faith was talking about her incredible brothers and how their autism made them unique and special. Here was someone saying it’s not just OK to be different, it’s better. Here was someone telling me to look at my son in a different light, to notice all his gifts and potential.
Since then, I’ve come to think of Faith’s talk as my introduction to the
movement, which celebrates
and ways of being — and understands, as Faith says, “Everyone’s got a gift inside of us, and in all honesty, the pursuit of normality is the ultimate sacrifice of potential.”
About ASD Dad
C is a sweet boy with autism. He is a twin, and he is in remission from a very rare lung disease. I'm his dad, and these are my thoughts.
Subscribe for updates
If you'd like to be notified when there are new posts,
. Don't worry, it's spam free and you can unsubscribe whenever you like.
Recent Posts
Categories
ASD Dad on TwitterGreat autism conference Oct 8-9 in San Diego. Speakers incl. Steve Silberman and Barry Prizant. Wish I could go…
RT : “A speck in a sunbeam” — A short story about my son, NYC subways, and
RT : The pseudo-logic of "not autistic enough"
Two resolutions. What are yours? | ASD Dad
The Worst Treatment Autism Got In 2015 Was From Malcolm Gladwell via
RT : That “landmark” autism GABA study? Maybe not so much:
Parents, remember: Progress Happens
"Violence is a mainstay of entertainment and news, but discussing it on a personal level veers on taboo."
RT : People who claim there's an autism epidemic ask, "Where are all the autistic adults?" Here's what happened to them. htt…
Quora answer to the question: “Are people with
treated worse than blacks and women in society?”}

我要回帖

更多关于 sdasds 的文章

更多推荐

版权声明:文章内容来源于网络,版权归原作者所有,如有侵权请点击这里与我们联系,我们将及时删除。

点击添加站长微信